Many people are shocked to find out how expensive it is to add a teen driver to their auto insurance policy. There's a reason for the extra expense; new drivers are prone to making more claims on their policies. To help keep your car insurance premiums as low as possible after adding your teen, try these tips:
- Ask about discounts. Your insurance company probably provides discounts for a variety of things, so ask what's available. For your teen, you might get a good student discount if they maintain a certain GPA. You could also ask about installing safety devices that make the vehicle less prone to being broken into. Teens generally don't drive much, so ask about a discount for low mileage drivers.
- Take drivers education classes or a safe driver course. Depending on your state of residence, your teen might take this at school, or you can find one on your own. In some states, after a certain age, a class is not required. In this case, you should ask if you are eligible for a discount if your child takes a class.
- Make the teen a part-time driver. If your teen will only be doing the occasional evening errand and a bit of weekend driving, there's no need for them to have their own car. Assuming both parents have a car, add the teen to one of the policies as a part-time driver. If the teen won't be driving for a period — such as while abroad on an exchange program or at college — have their status changed, since they're not driving.
- Buy them a reliable, but older vehicle. Assuming your teen needs a car, get them a used one. Find a make and model that's in reliable running condition. A few cosmetic issues won't hurt.
- Bundle your insurance policies. Check to see if there's some savings for bundling your home and life insurance with your auto insurance to save even more money.
And one last idea that your teen may not be a fan of: Wait a few years to let them drive. No one says a 16-year-old needs to drive. It's a privilege for them; one they may not be ready for.
When you are ready to add your new driver to your auto insurance policy, contact us to help you find one that's right for your needs.